Rating: 3.8/5 (5 votes)
Prasat Nakhon Luang
Operating day: Daily
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00
This ruin of the royal residence for summer retreats is on the east bank of the Pasak River. It was used by various Kings of Ayutthaya as a temporary camp en route a visit to the Lord Buddha's Footprint in Saraburi or a trip to Lopburi.
Prince Damrong surmised that this residence was built during the reign of King Song Tham when the Footprint was discovered. The original building was later strengthened with brick and plaster during the reign King Prasat Thong.
According to the royal annals, King Prasat Thong sent artists to Khmer in 1631 to copy the plan of a Khmer prasat from the capital city of Angkor Thom, hence the name Phra Nakhon Luang. However, only a simplified version of the original prasat was constructed and is currently a part of a temple where the monks help to keep the building in a state of good repair.
Category: Art, Culture and Heritage
Group: Royal Palace
Last Update : 10 YearAgo