Main > Central > Phranakhon Si Ayutthaya > Phranakhon Si Ayutthaya > Sam Phao Lom > St. Joseph's Church
Rating: 3.5/5 (4 votes)
St. Joseph's Church
Operating day: Daily
Operating time: 08.00 - 18.00
St. Joseph's Church was built during the reign of King Narai in 1666 as a result of a request from the missionaries headed by Bishop Lambert de la Motte a missionary who wished to build a church and a mission school.
The original wooden church was rebuilt in bricks and mortar in the European style between 1685 and 1695. During the second Burmese attack, the Siamese used the church as a shelter which led to its being destroyed on 23 March 1767.
In 1831 Father Pallegoix came to Siam and took care of the restoration work on the church. The restoration was completed in 1847. More additions in the 12th century Romanesque style were made during the tenure of Father Perros during the reign of King Rama V. The church is a place of continuous Catholic worship in Thailand for over 300 years.
Tel : 035242589, 035321447
Category: Places of Worship
Last Update : 10 YearAgo