Wat Bunyawat Wihan

Rating: 3.7/5 (7 votes)
Lampang attractions
Attractions in Thailand
Operating day: Daily
Operating time: 08.00 - 17.00
Wat Bunyawat Wihan is located on Boonwat Road, Hua Wiang Subdistrict, Mueang District, Lampang Province. This ancient temple, with a history spanning over 400 years, is recognized as the first royal monastery (Phra Aram Luang) of Lampang. Originally known as “Wat Klang Mueang” (Central City Temple), it was historically used for the royal oath-taking ceremony (Nam Phiphat Satya) performed by city rulers.
According to historical records, in 1804 (B.E. 2347), during the reign of Chao Luang Kham Som, the ruler of Lampang, the old vihara was demolished and replaced by a new main vihara, a principal Buddha image, a stupa, a monk’s residence, and a scripture hall. Upon completion, the temple was renamed Wat Luang Chai Santhan.
Later in 1912 (B.E. 2455), Chao Boonyawat Wongmanit, then ruler of Lampang, observed the temple’s deterioration and commissioned the reconstruction of the main vihara, scripture hall, monk’s quarters, and the temple walls. He assigned Luang Prasan Maitri Rat, an architect, to study the architecture of royal temples in Bangkok and apply the style in rebuilding the temple.
The new vihara was built with a solid structure and a high gabled roof, elevated above the ground in a manner distinct from traditional Lanna-style viharas. The interior was decorated with Central Thai motifs, though remnants of Lanna artistry such as tung kradang (ceremonial wooden banners) and kham yan (pillar supports) were preserved, believed to be carried over from the previous structure.
A new principal Buddha image named Phra Chao Ton Luang was cast, measuring 1 wa and 2 sok in lap width (approximately 2.5 meters) and 2 wa 14 inches in height (about 4.3 meters). It was completed in 1914 (B.E. 2457), and a request was submitted to rename the temple Wat Luang Boonyawat Bamrung.
In 1915 (B.E. 2458), Chao Boonyawat Wongmanit, together with Phra Thammajindanayok the abbot and ecclesiastical head of Lampang and Phra Khru Phuriphobon (Phai), organized a grand consecration ceremony attended by 120 monks. The main vihara was designated as the ubosot (ordination hall), and after the boundary (phatthasima) was officially marked, a royal request was submitted to offer the temple as a royal monastery.
King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) graciously granted the elevation of the temple’s status to a royal monastery and bestowed upon it the name Wat Bunyawat Wihan. Today, it also serves as an official Dhamma practice center of Lampang Province.
Comment
| Keyword (Advance) |
Facebook Fanpage



Category:
Group:
Art, Culture and Heritage
Historical Sites and Monuments(
Landmarks and Memorials(
Art, Craft Centres, Tradition(
Museums(
Historical Houses and The Ancient City(
University
Other religious and spiritural sites(
Research and Development
Royal Project(
Suburban Living
Village, Community(
Local Market(
Nature and Wildlife
National Parks and Marine Reserves(
Mountain (Doi)(
Dam, Reservoir, Lake(
Waterfalls(
Hot Springs(
Caves(
Flower Field(
River, Canal(
Bays and Beaches(
Other natural attractions(
Entertainment and Agricultural
Animal camps and shows(
Farm, Parks, Gardens and Ecotourism(
Outdoor and Adventure Activities(
Shopping
Shopping and Night Market(
Spas and Wellness
Spas and Wellness(